Raising kids with LOVE ♦ August 24, 2012 ♦ Leave a comment
Enjoy your Friday!!
My favorite day of the week is here again. I am looking forward to a “date night” tonight. Even with being an “empty nester”, a date night sounds exciting. It is nice to be out and concentrating only on each other and not the pile of laundry that still is sitting in my laundry room. Out of site, out of mind, right? I challenge you now to sit down and make 3 goals today for the next week. Think of 1 thing you can do for yourself to refill that pitcher, 1 thing to do for your children that might break up the regular routine of the week and make life more fun, and 1 thing to do for your partner to stay connected. These might be just small changes in your life. A sticky note here, a lunch surprise here, a candle at dinner, a half hour of reading…..simple ways to reconnect, refill, and enjoy the moment.
Tips on getting a little R and R during your week:
- When your child takes a nap, lie on the couch for just 10 minutes. Do not make a bee line to the computer or your list of chores or flip on the TV. Let your mind wander. Let your mind rest, staying “plugged in” doesn’t allow that to happen. Sometimes actually nap! 🙂 But you deserve at LEAST 10 minutes.
- Redefine what really needs to be done. Remember, your standards may have to be a bit different when you have young children. If you have hugged your child, everyone had at least one clean item to wear, there was something fairly healthy to eat in the house and you have “connected” with your partner for just a few minutes, your day was hugely successful!
- Be protective of your nighttime sleep. Go to bed early, keep the TV off, practice relaxation prior to bed, and turn the baby monitor down so that you hear only when your baby REALLY needs you and not just normal “baby” sounds. Remember, your baby WILL eventually sleep through the night, and you WILL hear your baby if your baby needs you.
Now, celebrate Friday. Remember, small celebrations make life much more interesting. Don’t allow another day to go by without celebrating SOMETHING…maybe just the fact that Friday is here.
Take a breath, enjoy the joyful moments of each day, and remember you don’t have to be perfect to be the perfect parent.
- Posted in: Becoming a Dad ♦ Enjoying parenting ♦ Family traditions ♦ Parent/child communication ♦ Postpartum depression, perinatal mood disorder ♦ Uncategorized
- Tagged: enjoying parenting, family bonding, Fun Friday, infant, preschooler, reconnect with your partner, refill your pitcher, school age, take care of you, teen years, TGIF, thank goodness it is Friday, toddler